Monday, March 8, 2010

Caprock Canyon Preview

March has arrived, and that usually means the RMEC season is about to kick off in Texas. However, this year we were all given the chance to get a warm-up race under our belts down in Phoenix. Last year, I wasn't quite ready to race when Caprock approached, and I got my butt kicked! Hopefully we all got the bugs worked out and are ready to smoke some of those Texans!!! I want to see the Colorado guys show up ready to race so I thought I'd put together a list of things I've learned about this fun race :)


(Caprock 2007)

1. When I think of this race, I think of motocross without the jumps. The traction is usually epic, and I don't expect this year to be any different. I look forward to slamming some berms!!!

2. We usually start and end on the 3 mile grass track in the town of Qutiquae that was used for Saturday's GP race. If you don't race Saturday, at least walk part of the track to get a general idea of what Sunday will bring, and stretch out those road legs! The test will likely be run backwards from Saturday's race for either the first, or last special test.

3. After the test in town, you will probably have some time on the road heading out to the area where the next few tests will be held. The next three or four tests will all be held in close proximity, and generally consist of fun trail that winds through the cedar trees. Let me know if you see any rocks out there, I don't think I've found any in years past....

4. Bike set-up is pretty important for this one, because there is nothing too technical and all of the scores will be really close to each other. You should be fighting for every second! This is a race with a lot of turns, so make sure you have your sag set right and your suspension set to settle into the corners. If you need help with this, stop by our pit area and look for Alan Stillwell. He drives a big KTM box van and I don't think he ever leaves home without a sag-o-meter.... ever!!! I would make sure your brakes have fresh fluid so they don't boil too easily, your clutch is good, and that your bike is jetted right. You're gonna be on the pipe :) :) :). I wouldn't worry about a skid plate, pipe or disk guard, or a steering damper unless you feel naked without it.

5. If you see David Klein, or any other Texans doing weird things, turn and walk the other way.

6. Have fun and don't ride over your head, it's still winter here and you have a good excuse if you don't ride as well as you would like!


0 comments: