Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dual Duel-Phoenix 2011


Sorry for the lack of updates! As most of you know, 2010 was a very busy year for me. There was a lot of good that came with it, but I really want to put an emphasis on racing this year! Though it seems way too early, this year's racing has already started. The first two rounds of the RMEC are co-sanctioned with Arizona's AMRA, so I get the opportunity to travel to warm weather every February. It's hard to properly prepare during the winter in Colorado, so Justin Petty and I decided to travel down few days early to get some riding in and dial in our bikes. It's always a harsh awakening when you first twist the throttle on the Arizona terrain. The traction is mediocre, the ground is rough, the rocks are sharp, and if you make a mistake, you will end up covered in poisonous, barbed cactus needles. Smooth and precise riding is the ticket down here.


Erin had to work back home, so we brought her bike down and she flew in on Friday afternoon…. VIP STYLE!!! Saturday morning came sooner than I expected, and the first day of racing was under way. There were four tests on each day. The first was a fast seven mile section that provided a good wake up call to the high speed terrain we’d be racing on. The second and third were around 17 miles each, and had a good variety of high speed roads, whoops, winding trail, and sand washes. The last test was also just under twenty miles, but had a very technical, steep and rocky side-hill trail in the middle.


I felt good on the bike all day, and accomplished my main goal of staying off the ground and out of the cactus. My test times improved all day as I got used to the desert terrain. I knew that there were a lot of fast riders racing (including Destry Abbott on the row behind me), so I was happy to finish day one inside the top 20 overall. I usually do better the second day of a two day race, so I was anxious to get some food and rest and see what I could do on Sunday.


Sunday’s course was the same as Saturday’s, but each test was run in reverse direction. The course was getting rougher on each lap, and it took me a while to get used to the different lines. I struggled with the dust and speed again in the first test. Luckily I was able to put my head down and put in some better times for the remaining three loops. I stayed off the ground again, and only got a few cactus needles in my hand on the last loop! My times were good enough for a 14th overall finish. I was really happy to finish the first two races safely, and in the points on both days.


I have some new sponsors this year that I would like to mention. I’m really excited to be racing for the Stillwell Performance/Carbon Raptor team again this year. My suspension is incredible, and I truly believe that regardless of the motor you have, it’s worthless if you can’t ride the bike in control and put the power to the ground. Fay Myers Motorcycle World helped me get a new fuel-injected 250 SXF, and it rocks! Between my new Moose gear and PG graphics, nobody can deny how good I look out there, haha :) . I would also like to congratulate my teammate Ray Barnard on some of his best results to date, and my girlfriend Erin who took a 3rd and 1st in the Women’s class!!! Wooooohooooo, looks like 2011 is going to be an awesome season!

0 comments: